Base Be Siap (Spice Paste for Chicken)
Base Be Siap — Spice Paste for Chicken (recipe by I Nyoman Sudiyasa of Sate Bali)
- 4 shallots, peeled
- 26 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 inch Kencur root, peeled and chopped
- 1.5 inch laos, peeled and chopped
- 10 candlenuts
- 5 inch fresh turmeric, peeled and chopped
- 4 T chopped palm sugar
- 4 T vegetable oil
- 2 stalks lemon grass, bruised
- 2 salam leaves
- 10 bird’s eye chilies, finely slices
Put shallots, garlic, kencur, laos, candlenuts, turmeric, and palm sugar into a food processor and grind coarsely. Heat oil and fry all the ingredients until very hot, stirring frequently, until the marinade changes to a golden color. Let cool before using.
We used this chicken spice paste to make Tum Ayam (Minced Chicken in Banana Leaf).