I came across this recipe while searching through Pinterest, one of my new favorite applications. The recipe also introduced me to another great food blog, Spoon Fork Bacon. I love their unique recipes and great food photography and styling techniques as well. The original recipe also includes dipping sauces, but I decided not to make them and top the fries with parmesan cheese instead.
Baked Asparagus Fries
adapted from Spoon Fork Bacon
Makes 1 pound
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 lb asparagus, ends trimmed and cut in half
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated parmesan cheese for topping (optional)
- cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Place almonds and bread crumbs in a food processor and pulse until the almonds are finely ground and well mixed. Pour mixture into a shallow dish.
3. Dredge cut asparagus spears in flour and shake off excess (not much flour will stick to the waxy spears, but that’s okay).
4. Dip each spear into the egg wash followed by the breadcrumb mixture. Cover each spear in the panko mixture until fully coated. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Place coated spears onto a parchment lined baking sheet and spray with a light coating of cooking spray. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until crisp and lightly
browned. Season with salt and pepper or top with parmesan cheese to taste.