Mmm… spam. Don’t get grossed out. I know it sounds horrible to have this on a food blog but believe me, you gotta try this just once!
Spam musubi, also known as spam sushi, is one of my favorite “once in a while” snacks, and a popular favorite when I visited Hawaii. You can find them at most grocery stores in Hawaii, but if you live elsewhere like me, you will have to find L&L Hawaiian BBQ stores or make them yourself. Spam musubi is very simple to make, and I’ve tried making them a few times myself. I’m not the best at rolling sushi, but with a little help from a musubi maker I bought online, my spam musubis don’t look too bad! And of course, they taste great!
For another Spam recipe idea, try adding to a Chinese-Style Potato Salad!
Makes 10 musubi
Prep time: 25 min
Cook time: 15-25
Recipe from Foodnetwork.com
2 cups cooked sushi rice*
5 sheets of nori
1 (12 oz.) can of Spam
6 Tbsp soy sauce
4 Tbsp mirin
4 Tbsp sugar
Furikake, to taste
*Sushi Rice Ingredients from my Auntie Meliza =)
2 Cups short grain rice
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
2 Tsbp sugar
1 tsp salt
1. Cook rice in rice cooker. Mix in rice vinegar, sugar and salt.
2. Cut spam into 10 pieces.
3. Fry slices until slightly crispy.
4. In another pan, combine soy sauce, sugar and mirin. Bring to boil over medium heat. Add Spam slices, coating them in the mixture. When mixture has thickened, remove Spam from pan.
5. Lay a sheet of nori lengthwise on a clean surface. Moisten lower half of musubi maker, and place on lower third of nori. Fill musubi maker with rice and press flat until the rice is 3/4-inch high.
6. Sprinkle rice with furikake. Top with slice of Spam. Remove musubi maker and keep in a bowl of warm water to keep it clean and moist
7. Starting at the end towards you, fold nori over Spam and rice stack, and keep rolling until completely wrapped in the nori. Slightly dampen the end of the nori to seal it. Repeat with the other nine Spam slices, making sure to rinse off musubi maker after each use to prevent it from getting too sticky.
8. Cut, serve and enjoy!